Monday, May 12, 2014

Big extremes

This morning we started the day by going to chapel at the seminary at 7:30 it was nice a good message.

  Then we went into town. There are lots of extremes between the big city of Lusaka and the villages, the traffic here is crazy.  It is interesting as you are sitting in traffic people come up to you and try to sell you stuff, which i guess isn't that strange.  And they sell top up cards for cell phones, bags of oranges and whatever.  Well we saw one guy who had like 10 dog collars with leashes going from car to car trying to sell them.  This is really crazy who buys their dog collars from wandering people, and then a mile later we saw another guy selling the same collars, and the funny thing is that Zambians don't really own dogs as a general rule, we never saw anyone walking their dog.

I've included a picture of a guy holding a book about "Understanding Physics" which is like the strangest book that you can try to sell people who are stuck in traffic.


 We went grocery shopping in the morning and got some money.  They grocery stores here are really strange and sell strange things like duck fat, not sure what you do with that.  We went to a little village that has lots of souvenirs that you can buy.  I enjoyed trying to get people to go down on their prices one guy wanted to sell a bowl for 150kwatcha ($25( I countered with 40 and then just went on about how there were some small imperfections in it and it was kind of small and then I walked away and he finally went for 50 kwatcha which is like 8 dollars, I was proud of myself, but it takes a lot of time to get the price down.  Here is a picture of the market.

We saw the US Embassy it is huge and impressive.  We met with one of Chris' friends who lives here and we went to an Irish pub for supper and a couple of drinks, it was pretty fun.  It's late and I'm planning on hitting the hay, excited that I'm going to be going home tomorrow, late tomorrow yes, but the voyage will begin tomorrow.  Bye.

5 comments:

  1. the market photo was fun to play "I Spy" with. My dad doesn't have a google account, so it won't let him comment. We're looking forward to seeing you and hearing more about your adventure. I put your lion 'selfie' as the background on the computer and Silas says, "Dada". Enjoy your last day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spy something in the market photo that doesn't belong who can find it?

      Delete
    2. Yep you got it I laughed when I saw that

      Delete
  2. Peter, I've been following your blog every day. Thanks for the interesting updates. Have a safe trip back to the states and continue to enjoy Africa.

    ReplyDelete